Sunday 3 February 2008

History Lesson




Yesterday, our group toured the ancient aspects of the city. Our tour-guide from the preservation society, a man dressed completely in black with a wit unlike any I've experienced, led us around the Roman ruins of the city in a manner that was actually very informative. Click here for an overview of most of what he covered.

Also, here's a bit of fascinating history: The Emperors Hadrian, Septimius Severus and Constantius I all held court in York during their various campaigns. During his stay, the Emperor Severus proclaimed York capital of the province of Britannia Inferior, and it is likely that it was he who granted York the privileges of a colonia or city. Constantius I died during his stay in York, and his son Constantine the Great was proclaimed Emperor by the troops based in the fortress.

I'm still really impressed at the extent to which York seeks to preserve its most ancient and prized artifacts. Most of the city's walls are intact (save for a stretch that was destroyed by the Victorians to allow for a bypass to be constructed through the middle of the city).

I'll admit that the novelty of the "otherness" of York is waning. Yet, this isn't cause for lament. If anything, it's signaling a new phase in my time here. It's only been a week (and this is difficult to believe as I feel like it's been much longer) but I feel like, at this point, I'm moving towards becoming a contributive member of the city and its economy--in some sense maturing as a visitor.

In the months ahead, I anticipate further acclimation to an environment Ryan and I discussed just today as "strikingly similar yet palpably different."

JS

No comments:

About Me

My photo
York, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
"My sense of the holy is bound up with the hope that some day my remote descendants will live in a global civilization in which love is pretty much the only law." -Richard Rorty (see Jürgen Habermas' obituary for Rorty here:http://www.signandsight.com/features/1386.html.)