Tuesday 15 April 2008

Spring Break Series IV: To Norway!

Paris was fun.

But, I had grown tired of the baguette and cigarette shops on every corner.

Fortunately, our trip was only half through. And from Paris it was off to Norway. This leg of our journey posed several logistical barriers. We had to wake up very early (0430) on the 26th, pack our bags, navigate our way to the Eurostar station, board the train, arrive in London, make our way through customs, hop on the underground to London/Stansted Airport, wait in line (for tickets to board what I once thought was a second rate courier), sit through an hour long flight, arrive in Sandefjord, navigate our way again through customs, claim our bags (which, suffice it to say, proved to be more difficult that I had anticipated) and wait for our ride to our lodgings for the evening. All of this had to be accomplished in one afternoon. It all turned out just fine. But the evening before we left Paris I was saying my prayers with extra vigour. I had visions of being stranded in any of the three cities we were to pass through. I thought we could have been robbed. Or, because of what I had been told about Ryan Air, I thought I might find myself floating amid the whales in the North Sea in the afternoon sun.

Never mind that that we were students on a budget. Indeed, we seemed to have forgotten this fact when planning our break. Norway (and later Iceland) are two of the most expensive countries in the world to visit. And we felt it. I anticipated costly items. Yet I had no idea how difficult it would be to visit Noreg. Locals find it quite manageable. They simply make more. And their incomes and taxes adjust with the consumer price index. We visitors, though, were hard pressed when it came to buying simple items like bread and Orange Juice.

Apart from temporary poverty, though, Norway was a delight.

We stayed with friends in Bergen, a former "European Capital of Culture" and all around charming spot nestled amid Norway's well-known fjords and rather graceful mountains. Our visit included a lot of relaxation (perhaps it is what we needed). Hiking and eating seemed to be what we most wanted to do. And with nationalized friends, said activities were splendid. Try the brown cheese...(Slice it thin and place it on warm bread). Would I recommend Scandinavia? Sure. Even if you're not independently wealthy, Norge is a place to see. And who knows, maybe you'll make it here (and if you do, get out of the car and take pictures...nice Volvo boat motor Susanna!)


Be well.

JS

Thursday it's off to Iceland!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
York, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
"My sense of the holy is bound up with the hope that some day my remote descendants will live in a global civilization in which love is pretty much the only law." -Richard Rorty (see Jürgen Habermas' obituary for Rorty here:http://www.signandsight.com/features/1386.html.)